Thursday, May 25, 2006

Life`s a Lottery

On Monday on the way back from fencing I stopped off at the vending machine paradise in shibutami. There is a big lay-by with about 20 vending machines all lined up in a row. For those of you not in Japan who have never seen this phenomena, I am not exaggerating, there really are that many. Some of the machines have a lottery system, so when you buy a drink, 4 numbers appear on a little LED screen. If they are all the same number, for example 4444, then you get a second drink for free. It didn`t believe that they ever actually paid out, but for the first time ever I won something!! I got 1111 and a free orange juice. Just made my day that did!


The free juice in all it`s glory!

It made up for a rather bad fencing night. The fencing itself was good fun as always, but during one match I looked down to find a lot of blood dripping from my finger after a rather nasty whack of which the resulting remark made me quite glad there were no other fencers in the room. Anyway, I played to the end of the match and then was fully bandaged and ice packed up (hey, if you are going to get injured, a medical uni is the best place as ever), then I got on with my next game. Not long after a boy got a very similar injury to the wrist, and I was sure he was going to die he was moaning and yelling so much. He did not continue fencing, but sat at the side looking sorry for himself and touching his wrist gingerly. Tut, boys!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home