Thursday, January 19, 2006

Hot water and stars

Last night was a bit of a cold one, so as I was sitting at my desk putting of going back to my cold house, I hit upon a fantastic idea. I rushed home, sliding my way down the hill and (after battling my frozen door a bit) grabbed a few bits and bobs from the house and jumped in the car. I stopped briefly at Lawson to stock up on some warm tea, then turned up the music and hit the country roads, heading for an impromptu onsen. And it really did turn out to be a great idea. When I first arrived it was jam packed full of little old ladies, but they were just leaving and by the time I had finished showering, I had the place to myself. I went out to the outside pool and relaxed in the hot water, gazing at the stars and Iwate-san. All around the pool were little wooden lights half buried in the snow and they made the steam rising from the pool look so magical. From time to time, it even snowed a little. It is hard to explain how amazing it is sitting in hot water with cold snow hitting your face. I think it is maybe the longest I have ever stayed in an onsen, but it was just so relaxing, even my wrinkly fingers couldn't drag me away! Definitely better than a cold apartment and heater fumes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home