Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Today I tried making dango(団子). This is a dodgy Japanese confectionery made from rice powder. It tastes good, but I admit even the professionals can't make it look good.


A professional dango.

However, I think I managed to go a step further in the art of making something that looks like inedible mush.


my appetizing dango.

Honestly, it tasted ok, it just looks weird. And it is really fun to make. When it is in the bowl it is quite hard, but then you put it in your hands to make balls and it goes all soft and sloppy. It is really strange.

The first batch I made were not so good. I didn't realise when you put it in the boiling water that it would expand, so when I took the lid of there was just one huge dango balloon. The second batch I made smaller balls and they were actually ok.

If anyone wants to try making them, the powder is very light and you just add water, so I am happy to post some to England.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home