Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Bicycle blunders

Recently, JTB seems rather cursed when it comes to bikes. Just before Golden Week, he got a puncture in the bike he uses at uni. We packed up the car with pumps, new inner tubes, a whole kitbag of screwdrivers, pliers and spanners, and headed off to Takizawa. We arrived and made a penitent purchase in Lawson so we could leave the car in their carpark, and headed off to find the bike. We discovered it among the thousand other bikes in there, but low and behold, the tire was perfectly fine. There are four explanations we can think of: a) some kind person fixed it for no reason b) his friends fixed it cause it was his birthday c) it is bewitched d) he is off his rocker and it was never broken. Personally I am going for d.

In Numakunai, he has taken to riding my bike (because of the gears he claims, but I think he just likes the pink colour). It is quite distinctive, being pink rather than the standard silver. So yesterday he was riding along, when a police car came right up behind him, and a loudspeaker voice said "could the bicycle in front please pull over". He thought it was someone else, so he kept riding, but then they came right up next to him and made him stop. Turns out that a pink bike had been stolen, and as ours is maybe the only other pink bike in the whole of the town, they rightly suspected ill deeds. Luckily, the security numbers were obviously authentic and didn`t match the stolen bike, so he was let off. Poor JTB.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have two bikes in my shed. If I painted one lilac do you think he's accept it?

5:15 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ahhh....he'D accept it!

5:16 am  
Blogger niko-chan said...

I think if you went with a nice bright pink he would be head over heals for it. Don`t think lilac will cut the ...crumpet (I have realised I don`t know the rest of that phrase. Maybe I am confused between "take the biscuit" and "cut it", anyway, I like my new phrase.)

6:42 am  
Blogger Chris said...

How about 'cut the cheese'? Cheese is nice. Not edam though, that's horrible. If you're going to be thinking about cutting edam then you can't use my phrase.

8:48 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also have 2 bikes in my shed. One, although not pink, is covered with girlie hand painted daisies!

Mum

ps the phrase you're looking for is cut any ice but why is anyone's guess. Cheese and crumpets sound better.

11:07 am  
Blogger Chris said...

Sorry to be pedantic, but it's actually "cut the mustard".

12:23 pm  
Blogger niko-chan said...

I think we have all learnt today that English idioms are ridiculous. Have never heard the ice one.

1:37 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home