Sunday, May 29, 2005

Adopted words

It seems to be that some words in Japanese get very easily adopted when we are speaking English as well. Probably I will occasionally use some of these in my writing, so I am going to start compiling a dictionary here of loan words. I haven't yet worked out how I can link bits of my blog together, but when I do I shall put in links where I have used these words.

eki - station
gaijin - foreigner

kakkoi - very stylish (often used to describe nice looking men)
keitai - mobile phone

nomihodai - all you can drink for a set time and price. They vary a lot, but a rough guide is around 2000 yen (£10) for anywhere from 120 minutes upwards. Normally includes a choice of around 30 drinks including beers, cocktails and spirits.
purikora / print club - small photo booths where you take your photos and decorate them with cute stamps before printing millions of the things so everyone can have one, but then are too small to see. Mostly frequented by teenage girls during that day and in the evening by people who have been drinking too much.

suuuuge! - an exclaimation of joy and amazement. (thanks to Crust for this submission)
tabehodai - the cousin of nomihodai, this means a set menu of food for a set price. obviously not nearly as interesting.
viking - all you can eat buffet for a set price
yaki-niku - barbecued meat




1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You forgot to include: suuuuuu-GAY!!!

2:25 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home